Thursday, April 21, 2011

What's So "Good" About This Friday

As most (if not all) of you know, today is Good Friday. I don't know about the other kids that go to my school, but to me, it's much more than a day off. It's a symbolic celebration of the day that Christ die for ME. It's crazy to think that all the of my sins were what held him to that cross. The lies that have escaped my mouth so that I might look better... The anger that explodes at others... The laziness that prevents me from being who God wants me to be... These were just a few things that drove the nails into his wrists and ankles.

A couple years ago, my Bible teacher introduced me to this song by Sixpence None the Richer and Bebo Norman. I think it does a good job of summarizing everything that went down the day that Christ died for the world.


(Note: The video that I would have liked to put here can be found at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qahF83maIo. It is more graphic and sometimes hard to watch--not Passion level, but still hard to watch--yet it definitely shows more of the horrible suffering Jesus underwent for so that we could be redeemed.)



As a very touching feeling type of person, I find it amazing how Jesus saw me, all messed up, and how desperate I was for saving grace, then died so that He could offer it to me. He did it for me, and He did it for YOU.

He lived to die.
He died so that we might live.
We live because he died. 

Don't you think that that deserves something more than just going to church every Sunday? So I challenge you to remember what Romans 3:24 says: "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." It isn't our good works that save us. It isn't even our good looks. They have no power whatsoever of saving us from ourselves. What does have that power, however, is something very scandalous but still very beautiful... Jesus's blood.

 What do you think it means to "live for God"?

No comments:

Post a Comment