Saturday, May 14, 2011

Personal Acceptance

Today, in celebration of "Bloggers Without Makeup Day" (May 14th) I want to talk about acceptance. (At the end you get a prize!) No, I don't mean being accepted by the people at school or at work. To be honest, you can't force anyone into giving approval on what you look like or who you are. You can't just change your image and then be immediately accepted like that. It's not your car, it's not your clothes, it's not even your appearance. When someone really accepts you, it's because of the confidence they see shining through.

However, it's hard to be self-assured when the world tries to force you into believing that you're too thin, too fat, too tall, too short, too whatever. Nobody really has a perfect body or face, even those computer-enhanced supermodels. They are insecure just like you and me. People will insult you when they find something different in you than what you are "supposed to be" according to our society. Their rudeness scars. Insecurities begin surfacing. Your self esteem dwindles continually.

I have been blessed enough to attend a private school my whole life so far. As a result, I've never really been insulted in the face. I thank God for that, because as a really sensitive, emotional person, those insults would really hurt me. Still even the unspoken bruises me sometimes. (I'm going to be really honest right here...) When I look at the mirror, I see so many flaws: freaky mustache, wide face, huge fivehead, forehead acne, flatness in the chestal area, and humongous bottom (for my proportions) just to name a few. But that doesn't mean that I have be insecure about those things that the world considers imperfections.

We all have specific things we don't like about ourselves. Maybe it's your laugh or your the tan from your sunglasses. Maybe it's your weight or white thighs. Maybe others tease you about them. Maybe they put you down because it's them having trouble accepting who they are. We all are insecure in one way or another. However, insulting others is not the way to make yourself feel better. In the long run, it only hurts you more, because one day, someone will knock you down a few pegs and you'll be lost. Watch what you say; it really does have an effect on others.

Don't give up the hope. Our presently dreadful situations allow us to relate to others and reach out to those who are struggling as we did before. The Lord uses our trials as ways to honor Him--if you let Him. Surround yourself with positive people who lift you up when you fall and let you cry on your shoulder. They are the people who made me accept that I will never be tall; in fact, they made me believe that I wouldn't be Kayla without being short! It's those people who really matter, not those who constantly attempt to bring you down.

So I challenge you, be confident in who God made you to be. Pray that you accept who you are and who you are made to be. After all, at the end of our lives, it'll be God judging us (and not on looks either).  Find something you love about yourself and focus on that. Know that you are made in the image of God. Know that what really deserves praise is not what you look to the world, but how you look at the world.

This is a pre-prize! This song has such a great message, and seeing the transformations from what's real to what's wanted is amazing as well.



So here's your prize for reading all of that: the first pictures of me on this blog. Beware, I'm wearing no makeup, only moisturizer...

I think flash makes my blemishes more pronounced...

So I made sure these photos were taken with flash.

I don't have perfect skin. I may look like a boy sometimes because of my curves (or lack thereof). I may look like a fifth grader because of my height. But hey--that's the real me.


What insecurities have you--or have yet to--overcome with God's help?

No comments:

Post a Comment