Friday, January 27, 2012

Song for the Soul: "Learning to Fall" by This Beautiful Republic

Fun Fact #91: During my freshman year, I made the choice to only have Christian music on my iPod.

Back then, my favorite song was "Animal" by Neon Trees. I have a hour drive to school, so you can imagine how many times I listened to it. One of my best friends were having a conversation about music and how it should reflect our faith. If I remember correctly, I emailed her the song claiming that it "wasn't that bad." She told me to really look at the lyrics, and lo and behold, they weren't very God-honoring. That was really the turning point. If I am really living my life for the Lord, shouldn't my choice of music also be included in that?

Since that time, I have learned several things about music:
  1. Music is extremely influential. It affects your mood and thoughts, which can then motivate what you say and do. Songs will get stuck in your head. And you will be singing them for days. Days, I tell you.
  2. By listening to Christian music, I think so much more about my Lord and Savior than if I was listening to secular music. Let's face it: the vast majority of songs are about loving another person. When I listen to these songs 24/7, I focus more on guys--who I like and how I can impress him. Christian music are love songs too; they're love songs about the Lover of my Soul, my first love.When I listen to them, I concentrate more about the sheer glory of God and how I can please Him.
  3. Some of today's songs make me want to gag. Sometimes, while I'm riding in the car with my brother and listening to secular radio, a song comes on that makes me think, Wow, we desperately need a Savior. Honestly, I almost feel violated, it's that bad. After choosing to keep my music only Christian, I am surprised that I left myself listen to that stuff before. 
  4. Not all secular music doesn't honor God. However, I find much easier to listen to artists and bands who aren't ashamed of their faith. It eliminates a lot of research on my part and arguments on where I should draw the line.
(To be clear here, I am not trying to force you into eliminating all your secular music; rather I am challenging you to examine this specific aspect of your life and measure it up with Philippians 4:8: "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.")

So I am starting a new series called Song for the Soul, in which I will be sharing my current favorite Christian song or one that really inspired me. I will do my hardest to keep them coming every week. Here is one of the songs that have most influenced my walk with God. I actually broke down sobbing when listening to this. (Funny story about how I discovered this song: My younger brother has a unique name, so I found it really interesting when I found someone who had the same name. I clicked on their MySpace--this was years ago--and the song was there!)


 As I was putting the video in my post, I realized that it was posted on my birthday! How cool is that!

Have you been convicted about music lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment