Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Destiny, Daydreams, and Dating

Fun Fact #26: I have a very big imagination when it comes to the future... and conspiracy theories, as I'm told by my brother.


It's true! I really do! (At least the first part anyway...) My family can confirm that I will random spout out things that I will do for my future family. For example, I have said that I will marry someone with a small to average-sized forehead, just to make sure my children won't possess a billboard on their faces like I have.* I have also discussed how I want my hubby to be tall...to balance out my midget stature, of course. I will even admit to announcing (only to immediate family obviously) that I want my husband to have money. Since 1) I'm looking into being a teacher, and 2) I want to provide my kids with a Christian education, having digits in the account is a little crucial.

*I know what you're thinking. Just because your spouse has a smaller forehead or is taller in height does not mean your children will be in "the middle ground." Just goes to show how truly delusional I am. :P

But after reading Siri Mitchell's captivating love story titled She Walks in Beauty and watching Clara fight against her family's expectations and commands to pursue true love, my view of my future began shifting. (If you are into historical fiction or romance novels, I highly recommend this book. It felt very real, especially considering it's set in the 1800s.)



I began to realize there was something better than having aesthetically appealing adolescents (alliterations again!): real, pure, honorable, loyal, trusting, kind, forgiving, intimate love that only God can give to you. As the cliche, but extremely true verse says...


" 'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' "
--Jeremiah 29:11


Nothing says it better than the Word itself. Jesus doesn't want you to settle just so your babies are proclaimed "the most adorable thing ever" or "a Gerber baby" (I never heard of that before I Goggled "baby compliments, haha) or have the most advanced private schooling. He wants you to be totally in love with the person He designed you to be with for the rest of your life. Perfect features or height may look great at first when deliberating what is dating--or should I say, marriage--material, but what truly matters in a healthy relationship is the size of the heart: for people, for you, and most importantly, for God.


Fantasies aside, what is most vital to you when considering relationships with the opposite gender?

No comments:

Post a Comment