Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Presently Praying

Fun Fact #18: I love being single. Yeah, it's pretty much awesome.


And no, I'm not being sarcastic. In freshman year, I was what my friends call "obsessed" with this guy. Now, I wasn't even dating him and I was giving him so much of my time and my thought. (If you're reading this, I just want to thank you for teaching me such an important lesson. I know I wouldn't be where I am without you.) Of course, my heart was broken. I cried. I was angry. I had regrets. And so on. But through it I learned this: dating takes a lot of time, effort, and emotion. And guess what? I wasted so much of it that year, and I wasn't even in a relationship. I began asking this: why even date if it's just a waste? Why not use all of that time and energy for something productive, for something that will last through fights and tears? Something like your walk with God.

By the influence of my best friend and Joshua Harris (through his life changing book I Kissed Dating Goodbye, which I highly recommend to any teenager, dating or single), I made the decision not to date until I'm truly ready for marriage. Does this mean I just float in the river of life, waiting until that time? No!

A couple weeks ago, one of my youth pastors once told my friend that it's never too early to pray for your future spouse. He had the seriously-what-use-is-that face on. But it made me think. If I were to pray for my Mystery Man, what would I pray about? That he'd be a stud? That he had a sign on his forehead that read "Kayla Dimalanta, I was made for you"? I mean, I don't even know this guy. How am I supposed to pray for him? Well, I was pretty sure that wasn't what I was supposed to pray for so I Googled. (Yes, I actually did Google "how to pray for your future husband.")


The search was fruitful and I found this amazing blog post. The title is "31 Days of Prayer for Your Husband." So I invite you: print out the page, put it where you read your Bible, and pray through it this month of November. Even better, make it into a prayer journal and give it to your husband one day. It might even turn out that he was having a hard time in his life when you were praying for him (man, wouldn't that be cool!).


Have you ever prayed for your future spouse? What do you pray for?

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Kayla! I didn't know you had a blog. This is so neat! I started to pray for my husband when I was young, and I can really see how God protected him during his highschool years when he could have been partying or doing foolish stuff. God protected him from all of that...and I like to think that it was because I was praying for him! Love to you... Betsy (Endicott) Bloomfield

    ReplyDelete